This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
I was single-parenting last week while taking care of my husband, Gus, who had the flu plus taking care of my normal duties with the kids, working (styling), shopping and keeping the house in order. Which is when I tweeted this the other day- “I’m a mom so pretty much my whole life is a #sidehustle. #momlife#welcometomyworld. It was a long week and when I started to have a Scrooge-y moment I turned on Pandora to rock some Christmas tunes. As one of my favorites, “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas,” came on I smirked as I stood in the kitchen, staring at a countertop filled with prescriptions, homeopathic remedies, empty orange juice cups and face masks.
But I turned up the music and sang at the top of my lungs and came up with this funny little list of my favorite things this Christmas 2017.
1. Tamiflu and Medical Face Masks: I wish it wasn’t a prescription because that requires a doctor appt plus the time there, a co-pay at said doctor’s office, driving to the pharmacy to wait for it to be filled along with another co-pay but it works so I am thankful for it. Along with the Tamiflu, I am also thankful for these medical face masks. As a mom, these are a must have when someone gets sick in our house. And since I’m a total germaphobe, sometimes I actually wear these to the store when I’m feeling fine and I know there are sickies around me. Try it sometime- people give you a wide berth and you can get through Target in a jiffy with one of these bad boys on your face.
2. Echo Dot and Smart Plugs: Gus bought an Echo Dot and a TP-Link Smart Plug on an amazing Black Friday deal on Amazon. At first, I didn’t think we really needed it but then he plugged it in and Alexa is my new best friend. We hooked the wifi smart plug to our Christmas tree lights. Boom. “Alexa, turn on Christmas Tree Lights.” Pop, pop, pop, they’re on. I have chicken on my hands but want to turn on Pandora Radio. “Alexa, turn on Christmas Radio.” Boom. My tunes are playing while I’m making dinner. The kids love it. She actually answers my questions unlike someone else that lives on my phone that I only find helpful for setting a timer. Oh wait, Alexa does that too.
3. Pandora Internet Radio: For Mother’s Day this last year, Gus bought me the commercial-free plan on Pandora Internet Radio. I totally love having all my radio stations on my phone for the car plus the computer while I work. My favorites: Elevation Radio, Coldplay Radio, All the Way My Savior Leads Me Radio, Workout Plan Radio and my kids favorite, San Holo Radio (they’re into electronic music right now). But at Christmas, all I listen to is Christmas Radio. It plays all the goodies, all the time and of course makes me dream of a white Christmas and that I lived in the 1950s. Plus, it’s hooked into our Alexa app- see #2.
4. Christmas Light Show Projection Points of Light with Remote: We’ve never been too impressed by the new light show Christmas lights we see projected on neighborhood houses. Then my brother-in-law, Alan, purchased this one and it was all the rage at our Thanksgiving get together. We ordered it even before driving home and it does not disappoint. Looking to prepare for next year already? Get this! And again, plug this in with a smart plug and ask your new best friend to turn it on every night.
5. Persimmons and Pomegranates: My heart gets happy when I walk into the grocery store and spy my first persimmons and pomegranates of the season. Costco had apple-sized persimmons this year that I couldn’t get enough of! I wish these fruits were around the whole year, but since they’re not, I love them even more when they show up in the cooler months. Persimmons are the perfect sweet fruit to add to your breakfast. Pomegranate arils are fun to munch on their own or add to salads. Try this recipe to combine the two for a delicious fruit salad.
6. Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Brew: Another one of my favorite things in the food department is Triple Ginger Brew Soda from Trader Joe’s. If you like ginger ale you’re in for a serious treat. Spicy and refreshing, it even tastes great with vanilla ice cream for a Ginger Float. I turned a couple of the bottles into glittery decorations for our house as well so it’s a two-fer!
7. Diffuser and Eden’s Garden Essential Oils: Whether we are dealing with sickness or mixing it up in the kitchen, we’ve been using this diffuser non-stop this season. With 300 mL capacity, it will last all day to then be refilled and last through the night. To see what I use to prevent illness and help during illness, look for a post on this soon. The same post also has my holiday-ready blends to keep the house smelling delishy-o-so. (Edens Garden has been voted the #1 Non-MLM Essential Oil Company!)
8. Aveda Hand Relief and Vanicream Vaniply Ointment: Like I said, I’m a total germaphobe so I’m already an avid hand washer. With all the extra hand washing I’ve been doing with flu in our house plus the super dry weather we are experiencing in SoCal, these have been so helpful. I use the Vanicream Vaniply Ointment during the day when I have a moment to sit or when I’m driving to school pick up. I put it on top of my hands, rub it in and let it do its magic. At night, I love using the Aveda Hand Relief Moisturizing Cream. It’s nice and creamy and has an amazing smell that is soothing at bedtime. Nic and I have been longtime fans of Aveda products and this one is always in both my house and my purse.
9. Hallmark Christmas Movies: Enough said. My DVR barely has space for all the Hallmark movie goodness.
10. Fleece Throw Blanket: For cozying up at night to watch the next Hallmark Christmas movie, this Sonoro Kate Fleece Throw Blanket has been my constant comfort. Granted our weather has been ridiculous this December with 94 degree days early on, down to 60 a couple weeks later then back up to 80, I’m always cold in the evening. And yes, it produces some amazing static electricity, but its soft, cozy and a favorite in our household.
11. Caslon High Waisted Leggings: I bought these leggings in early November and wish I’d gotten more than one pair. They are the perfect thickness, perfect length (I prefer ankle length in my pants) and the high waist doesn’t slide down my mom belly. You can still get them in Plus sizes on the Nordstrom website or try the Hue brand for something similar in regular sizes.
12. Stitch Fix Necklace: When I wasn’t wearing my leggings, I had a few dress-up occasions this season. This pic is me getting ready for our Stitch Fix holiday party. Every time, I added that extra sparkle and shine that everyone loves during the holidays with this Iver Mini Fringe Collar Necklace I got in my November Fix. It adds so much to any outfit and I never wear it without someone asking about it and receiving multiple compliments. If you’d like to get this necklace or something similar in your Fix, just mention it in the note to your stylist. Want to know more about Stitch Fix? Read more about your partner to personal style here or sign up for your first Fix with my stylist link here.
What were your favorite things this season? I’d love to hear about them in the comments!